Saturday, June 9, 2012

This post is for my friend Micki. She was the original "Scandalously Over Sixty" that I knew. When I met Micki I was in my 20s and she's about ten years ahead of me. I looked to her over the years to see what was coming in my next decade and she never disappointed. She took on each new year with a zest for life that most people don't have. I'm not suggesting she never saw hard times, because, like all of us, of course she did. But she met them with vigor and with an attitude that said she would (not just could but would) weather the storm and come out on top.

And she did. She is one of the reasons I never feared the passing years because I looked ahead and saw vitality. If I could maintain my attitude of looking at life like she did and if I could stay "full of wonder" about the world, things huge and tiny, then I could remain alive and happy. And, I could share that with the people I love. And that is what I continue to wish for everyone -- a life of wonder.

Being full of wonder is a whole lot better than some things I could be full of. And, let's face it, I'm full of those, too so at least the wonder offsets the lesser things I'm full of.

So, to Micki and to all the women warriors of wonder, enjoy this song (Wonder) by the amazingly fabulous Emeli Sande. It's going to be my theme for this year, as I move swiftly towards 60.

Here are the lyrics:
I can beat the night, I’m not afraid of thunder
I am full of light, I am full of wonder
Woah, oh I came falling under
Woah, oh I am full of wonder
Though our feet might ache, the world’s upon our shoulders
No way we goin’ break, ‘cos we are full of wonder
Woah, oh we came falling under
Woah, oh we are full of wonder
This light is contagious, go, go tell your neighbours
Just reach out and pass it on
This light is contagious, go, go tell your neighbours
Just reach out and pass it on ooh yeah
This light is contagious, go, go tell your neighbours
Just reach out and pass it on ooh yeah
This light is contagious, go, go tell your neighbours
Just reach out and pass it on yeah
Woah, oh we came falling under
Woah, oh we are full of wonder
When everything feels wrong, and darkness falls upon you
Just try sing along, this is a message from Cabana
If your heart turns blue, I want you to remember
This song is for you, and you are full of wonder
Woah, oh we came falling under
Woah, oh we are full of wonder





What is your hope for the rest of your life? What one attribute do you most want to have?

2 comments:

  1. I'm Micki. And I'm totally honored that Debby has chosen me as her..........what idol? someone who did it mostly right? someone she admires? Deb and I are almost exactly 12 years apart but we've never really felt that separation. We agree on many things and both love to laugh and tell stories. I can't top Debby's stories yet, but someday soon I will. I do run a close second.
    I love that Debby writes some of her blogs at 5:30 am, because that really means that she is, indeed, approaching 60. Otherwise, she looks about 29.
    And I agree with Shira.......You're not 60 until you're 60. I will tell you that any angst you may have will totally disappear on the day of December 6. Seriously, it's all about the approaching number. Once you hit it, it's all great and good and you will be so awed that you are actually 60 and still look 29.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the key to your joie de vivre is in your response. You love to laugh and enjoy others who do as well. You look at life from a place of joy. I think that is part of what makes you scandalously over sixty and beyond! Love you!

      Delete

Totally Love To Hear Your Thoughts!