Monday, June 18, 2012

A Funny Thing Happened Today on My Way to 60

So, there I was, minding my own business on my 5 mile run/walk this morning. I was listening to India Arie's "Video" and thinking about what a great message that was for women. (Men too, really.)

"I’m not the average girl from your video
And I ain’t built like a supermodel
But I learned to love myself unconditionally,
Because I am a queen"

I was admiring me because on most days I do love myself unconditionally. As my mother always said, "If you don't vote for yourself, why would anyone else?" (On the day I came home in 5th grade and told her I hadn't voted for myself for class president.)

So, visualize this: I'm out there running and not caring in any way what I look like. (Which is good because I do not look good in any way when I run. See my wellness blog post about that here
Here's a recent photo of me in my running getup. It's not today but let's just say today was even worse.
I'm enjoying the gorgeous day when a man pulls up beside me (from behind) on a bike. I live in a summer resort area and vacationers always stop people who look like locals to ask questions about the area. I'm happy to oblige. He looked a bit like the Monopoly guy but much taller. I like Monopoly.

He said, (these are direct quotes) "You look nice. Do you mind if I harass you for 1 minute?"

I figured he needed help or directions and he was right; I am a nice person, (sometimes) so I said, "Not at all. Take 2 minutes."

He said, "Are you here for the week on vacation?"

I said, "No, I live here."

This where I figured he'd start asking about where to find the liquor store. That is usually the first question, followed by "Where are the wild horses?".

But... NO!

He said, "Are you single?"

I was flabbergasted.

I don't get hit on/picked up often... or ever. And, I don't have a good history of picking/being picked up. At the end of a long first (and last) semester in law school in 1977, friends and I were at a bar celebrating our survival. I was married at the time but everyone else was single. My friend Fran was lamenting her total lack of a social life and admiring a hot guy at the bar. She wanted to hit on him but lacked confidence. I said, "No problem. I'll go get him for you." I had confidence because I wasn't actually the picker in this case. So, I approached the cute guy and said, "My friend over there would like to meet you. Are you interested?" He said, "Are you Debby? I think you used to babysit for me."

After that I never hit on anyone again, not for me, not for a friend. The last time anyone hit on me was in 1999. I was in a bar at a ski resort with my then 18-year-old daughter, Alexis. A guy came up and offered to buy us drinks. (We were drinking hot chocolate.) I don't think he cared which of us he picked up but I'm pretty sure I wasn't his first choice. He said something like, "What are you two sisters drinking?" After I stopped laughing, I explained that we were mother and daughter sharing a private moment.

And there you have it, my total history of hitting on.

Until today.

So, I said, in answer to his query about being single, "No, not even close. Happily married for 37 years. And, I'm almost 60 so I totally appreciate your attempt."

He simply jumped on his bike and rode away.

So, I ask you, what is this about? Was he really just looking for female company for the week he was on vacation? I "look nice"? What the hell was that? Keep in mind, he rode up from behind me and didn't even see my face! Does my ass make me "look nice"?

But, hell, I'm taking this for the compliment I'd like to think it is, rather than a horny stranger looking for a good time for the day with anyone female.

So I ask you, SOS sisters, when was the last time you hit on anyone or got hit on? How'd it go?

And, if you don't know the song, here's a musical interlude to inspire you to unconditional love of you!

6 comments:

  1. Perhaps his next question was going to be "Can you tell me where the nearest singles bar is?"

    Very rude of him to just jump on the bike and ride away without a word!

    I had to chuckle at you approaching the guy for your friend who you babysat. Too funny!

    I can't even remember the last time I was hit on. Probably because I've been out of the bar scene for so long now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'd have thought of it sooner, I would've directed him to the bar! I've been out of the bar scene for years so okay, I'm going with that as the reason why no one has hit on me for more years than I can count. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Larry and I were visiting up on Long Island at a reunion of about 20 people who had all worked on a national charity in the 80's and 90's. We were at Victor's extravagant estate on a river and he could house all of us. On Saturday night, we were all looped...having had drink and smoked some as well and we were all around Victor's huge dining room table, eating barbecue and laughing when someone suggested that we all take a moment to share whatever........
    When it came to Larry, my husband of 52 years........he looked at Victor and said..."And not only do I thank Victor for his generosity in hosting us all this weekend, but I want to thank him, as well, for hitting on my wife pretty much all during the 80's." Everyone roared with laughter, especially me and Victor. Victor hits on everyone and he has been married around 3 times, but he did hit on me back in the day and I LOVED IT. Don't know that I ever shared it with larry cause I was enjoying it too much, the hitting on, that is. Never went beyond that........but that's what you get when you've been married as long as we have............we know EVERYTHING. Yikes.

    I think you're good looking even when you're in running gear and I suspect the guy was interested....However, he did miss his chance. When you told him your age.......the schmuck could have said......"Do you have any daughters?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! I love that you are still able to remember Victor. When were the 80s... like a million years ago? :) And, not surprised that Larry knew even if you never shared. You are right. The knowing all is so much a part of the longstanding marriage. (And the not admitting that you know all also helps the longevity.)

      Hmmm... well some of the daughters are single...maybe I should have thought of that.

      Delete
  3. What a funny post. At least he could have said good-bye before riding away. I'm in my mid 50's and I'd say it's been about 5 years since I was seriously being hit on at home. In France, where I travel often, it's been two years. But to be fair, last summer it rained every day so I didn't dawdle window shopping while we were there. However, a couple of weeks ago I was coming home from my neighborhood gym and saw some baby birds I wanted to get a picture of so I hurried home for my camera. I was bent down, leaning my arms on a wrought iron railing to steady my shot when I heard a whistle from a car that passed behind me. There were a few other people in the vicinity of the neighborhood coffee shop, but I'm going to believe it was for my behind. Just because it gives me incentive to keep going to the gym.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally sure they were whistling at your ass! And I mean that in the nicest way possible. I just read a post on another blog about a construction sign in Jersey somewhere that made a joke about the workers whistling at women. Some women were outraged at the humor. I thought it was hilarious. Maybe they've lost their sense of humor but to those of us who rarely hear the whistle anymore, it's still pretty compelling. And I think I'm a feminist. I'm just one who still likes to feel like I'm whistle-worthy once in a while. (For my mind, of course.)

      Delete

Totally Love To Hear Your Thoughts!