Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Six Months to Sixty

Today is June 6. It's D-Day, which means one thing -- 6 months from today I turn -- YIKES -- 60. Okay, I know D-Day means more more important things to other people but for me seeing that date brought just this one thought. How the hell is it possible that I'm going to be sixty?

My daughter Shira says that I should stop saying I'm sixty while I'm still 59. I explain that I'm trying 60 on for size so that when it does fit me, it will not be so uncomfortable. I mean I don't want it to happen that one day I wake up and I'm sixty.

I have never had a birthday like this one before. That is to say one that felt actually life-altering. I've always aged with a nonchalant attitude and that has served me well. Maybe I was delusional and didn't really feel that I was getting older and now I do. Not sure why this number feels different but I'm acknowledging that and working on embracing it.

I have no intention of going gently into that good night. I'm going into 60 kicking, screaming, laughing, joking, running, playing, cooking, drinking, and generally living life to the best of my ability.

Here's what I look like today.
I ran 5.5 miles and this is what I looked like when I got home. When I'm sixty, I'll run 5 miles as I do each year on my birthday and I'll post a photo of what I look like then.

Between now and Dec. 6 (my actual S-Day of turning 60), I'll be musing about life and what I'm doing to make sure it's still fabulous. I'm seeking to highlight the stories of others who are 60 and living scandalously fabulous lives. What does that mean -- to live a scandalously fabulous life? It means that you are so vibrant and so alive and so happy that it's almost shocking! So, if you know someone who fits that profile, do write and send me their story and a photo. And, if it's you, even better!

6 comments:

  1. Age is just a number :) to me 60 is vibrant and self assured, confident and fearless.

    Enjoy it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the adjectives. Will add those to list of goals. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look fabulous, before I read it, I thought you were building something with the wood. I was like, what is she making....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm building something, alright, just not with the wood! Thanks for stopping by and thanks for your blog. I follow you for inspiration and you don't let me down!

      Delete
  4. Welcome to the almost sixties! You look great, and I'm impressed by all the running! My life recharged fantastically at age 61. I took up all all the pursuits that I thought I didn't have "enough" talent for, and have been enjoying myself immensely creating music and poetry. Doors have opened! This in addition to my day job at the office and the challenge of a daughter going from teens to twenties. Congrats and Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you've discovered hidden talents in music and poetry. I may have those, too, but they are too deeply hidden. I have, however, taken up a bit of art and am making mosaic designs. I've never done any art before as my 10 thumbs and total lack of an "eye" for beauty has held me back. With mosaic, though, it's already broken so I can't mess it up too badly. It sounds like you are definitely sailing through the sixties. Thanks for the inspiration and thanks for stopping by, reading and commenting. Hearing from others who are enjoying this decade helps a lot!

      Delete

Totally Love To Hear Your Thoughts!